BME AND THE ENVIRONMENT
Corporate Social Responsibility Report 2014
BME Group. Greenhouse gas emissions.
Kg of CO
Energy consumption (natural gas)
Public transport (corporate shuttle service)
Private transport: own vehicle
GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSION INDICATORS
(1) The following methodology was used to calculate the company’s greenhouse gas emissions:
- Electricity consumption: the methodology provided by Red Eléctrica Española and Instituto para el Ahorro y la
Diversificación de la Energía.
- Energy consumption (natural gas): the methodology contained in Appendix 1 of the Greenhouse Gas Inventories
Report and Appendix 1 of the Spanish Renewable Energies Plan 2011-2020.
- Air transport: the methodology provided by “The National Energy Foundation”http://www.nef.org.uk/greencom-
pany/co2calculator.htm for the years 2012 and 2013 andhttp://www.carbon-calculator.org.uk/
- Public transport (corporate shuttle service): the methodology provided by the Inventario Nacional de Emisiones GEI
(National GHG Emissions Inventory).
- Private transport (own vehicle):
the methodology provided by the Instituto para el Ahorro y la Diversificación de la
Energía, per kilometre travelled.
The conversion factor to calculate greenhouse gas emissions for air and rail transport for 2012 is 0.18 and 0.06,
respectively, while for 2013 and 2014 it is 0.31 and 0.08, respectively.
(2) Emissions relating to the direct consumption of electricity in 2012 and 2013 have been calculated on the basis of the
total consumption of the offices in Madrid, Bilbao, Valencia and Barcelona, as data for MEFF are not available.
(3) With respect to the 2013 Corporate Social Responsibility Report, electricity derived CO2 emissions for 2013 have
been recalculated to include consumption at the Barcelona stock exchange, which were not available on the date
(4) Emissions relating to the direct consumption of electric energy in 2014 have been calculated on the basis of the total
consumption of the offices in Madrid, Bilbao and Valencia, and data for Barcelona for the first six months. Consump-
tion data for the MEFF operating headquarters are not included as on 1 November 2013 employees working at the
Vía Laietana building were transferred to the Barcelona stock exchange.
emissions for electricity for 2014 were calculated by applying the final values of the gross electricity output mix
(2.67 Kgs CO
(5) Includes, in accordance with the methodology described in note 1 above, emissions relating to business trips made by
employees by train (does not include trips made by employees by train to the Majadahonda railway station to take
the company shuttle service to the Las Rozas headquarters).
(6) Includes, in accordance with the methodology described in note 1 above, emissions relating to use by employees of
the company shuttle bus. Trips made by employees using the company shuttle service have been calculated based
on the distance between the offices in Las Rozas and Plaza de la Lealtad in Madrid (20 km) and the distance between
the office in Las Rozas and the train station in Majadahonda (2 km), considering the following technical parameters:
minivan: one vehicle and two return trips a day / coach: 21 return trips a day, and 220, 216 and 218 working days
in 2012, 2013 and 2014, respectively.
(7) Includes, in accordance with the methodology described in note 1 above, emissions relating to trips made by employees
to their place of work using their own vehicles. Trips made by employees using their own vehicles have been calculated
on the basis of the number of parking places at the Las Rozas office (Madrid) and the following technical parameters:
Petrol car 1.4L-2.0; 88,913, 84,185 and 87,278 vehicles in 2012, 2013 and 2014 respectively, accessing the Las Rozas
(Madrid) work centre, and a 40km round trip for each employee (the distance between the Las Rozas building and the
centre of Madrid) as well as 220, 216, and 218 working days in 2012, 2013 and 2014, respectively.